Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What the world needs is more hugs

I got to my parents house on Monday night last week for the holidays. On Wednesday afternoon, my step-dad made a comment that I hadn't hugged him yet since I'd been home. I didn't grow up in the kind of family and I'm not sure why it wasn't something that happened more frequently in my house.

There's something about a hug that just gives you what you need. Sometimes, I just need to be hugged. Sometimes all I need is a quick hug with a good squeeze in it. Sometimes I need a longer hug that fully embraces me. I hate side hugs and think they're a disgrace. Ick!

I was thinking about this last night and thought of a few people that I love hugging. In high school, it was a guy from church, who also happened to be the guy I wanted to marry. He got married this past summer and I thought he was holding out for me. Damn, I was wrong.

In college, 2 of my closest guy friends were the ones I went to for hugs. Honestly, one of them I'd even take naps with and we'd spoon together. There was no sexual attraction there...just deep friendship. I miss that kid. The other college hugger is one who went through a tragic experience and I was there to help him through it. (he ran over a guy and had no idea...was in jail for a few days, but the case was dismissed. sounds crazy...it was!) He was my 'little bro' and a very close friend.

Right after graduation, I met a friend who to this day is the best hugger I've known. We had a 'special' hug that was just ours. He's in the pic here. I think we hugged so well because he was just a little taller than I was, which meant our bodies fit together just perfectly. Every time I'm home and I see him, we immediately go in for an embrace. I miss those hugs and don't think anyone will ever replace him.

Now, there's 2 guys I can think of who i see every now and then who I hug as soon as I see them. One has a girlfriend, who works with me, but she knows there's nothing going on. The other one is a great, great friend who I see more often, though it's few and far between as life has gotten crazy lately.

So what is it that makes hugging so fulfilling? There are people I hug and there's nothing great about it. It's OK...like a sloppy handshake. But then, there are those people who I connect with. (OK...that sounds a little creepy). Something about the connection your soul makes when you hug that person. I really feel that of all those listed here, I have a soul connection with, which only enhances the hug.

What do you think? Am I feeling too much from these special hugs or are there others who experience the same thing when they hug someone? Now I need a hug...or at least someone to spoon with. =(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom thinks I'm strange because I don't like hugs. I never thought about it before she brought it up a few years ago...I just don't hug much.

tearsinmycoffee said...

my mom and I never used to say "I love you" to each other. I had a friend who was like a big sister to me who always ended every phone conversation with the words, "love you." She'd do this with everyone, well, mostly everyone. It was the way her family was.

I started doing this with my mom a few years ago. most of the time we say it. it's a great way to end conversations with those you care about. =)

tearsinmycoffee said...

jenn...you're not strange. =) you're just saving hugs for those VIPs, right?