Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thank you for being a friend

Honestly, I really don't think I would've made it through life without my friends. I'm pretty independent from my family, meaning I chat with my mom maybe once a week, hardly ever with my step-dad and even less with my dad and step-mom. I never talk to my step-brother, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas when he's at my parents house. I'm pretty much a loner when it comes to my family.

However, my friends are my REAL family. I have friends that know a whole lot more than my parents do and my best friend, well...yeah, she knows it all, and still loves me. I have a handful of friends that I really let in. They're the ones I can be completely honest with, can dish the crap out to about what I REALLY think and the ones I want to call when I've had a great day.

Don't get me wrong...I have a plethora of friends outside of those few who I can call at anytime to hang out, but it's a different kind of friendship. As one personality test defined me, I'm a WOOer. That means Winning Others Over. It went on to define a WOOer as someone who walks into a room and doesn't see strangers, but sees friends they haven't met. Yep, that's me.

So during this day of reflection and thanks, it's really my friends that I'm thankful for, especially those I allow to know the 'real' me. I look forward to many more memories of fun times with my friends and am extremely thankful for the memories I've been blessed with over the past year. Amazing!

1 comment:

Betty Underground said...

My friends are my family too. You don't get to choose who you are related to, but you can choose your friends. I find honesty is an easier pill to swallow when they toss it down my throat. I know, because I choose them, that they truly only have my best interest at heart.

I am not always convinced of that with my family.

The friends are the once with the best stories to tell once we are gone.