Friday, November 23, 2007

A trip down memory lane

It never fails that when I make a trip back to my parents house, my mom has a pile of things for me to 'go through', meaning take with me or trash. Usually, I detest this, however, this time was interesting. The pile 'o stuff mom had for me consisted of items from my elementary school days, including awards, papers/reports, pictures and grade cards. (btw--the pic is from "Arrested Development" where one of the characters, Maeby, went to a 'special' school.)

Some things never change...I had lower grades (mostly B's with a C here and there) in Social Studies, all A's in Math and Reading throughout grade school, and had only Satisfactory marks in spelling instead of 'Outstanding'. I had one paper that the teacher wrote I had the highest grade in the class. =) Now, here's the shocker...on most of my report cards, I had comments such as "needs to work on getting along with others" and one that even said "tends to think she's right, even when she isn't". I'm sure my work partner is laughing at that one...I know I am!

It was very interesting to read over the reports I had in 1st and 2nd grade, which is when my parents were getting a divorce and I had no idea. I remember being put into a special one-on-one program at school where I got to talk to a teacher and draw pictures. I thought it was because I was better than the other kids. I finally figured out it was 'counseling' because of the divorce. Why don't they tell kids about these things? I also remember biting a kid in class who I got into an argument with. Yep, I grabbed his arm and bit into it. This, too, was during the divorce. And I thought I was 'special'?!?!

It was a great trip down memory lane for me. I could even name almost 75% of my elementary school classmates in a photo, but haven't seen any of them in almost 20 years. Why can't my brain remember more important things than the kids name I sat next to and played four square with? Hee hee...

No comments: