Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Mind over matter

I've always believed that getting sick has a lot to do with mental power. I don't usually get sick and really think it's believe I don't let myself think I'm sick. I don't like going to the doctor and will push through a little cold I have.

It's been interesting to see what happens to my body when I go through stressful times. I can tell myself that I'm going to be fine and there are bigger things in life than my problems (which is ALWAYS true!), but my body doesn't listen. I tend to lose my appetite and energy. I withdraw from my friends and try to find other things to keep me busy. I often lose weight because I'm only eatting one time a day or maybe once every few days.

I've really become more aware of when I'm getting stressed and have little things I can do to relieve stress. There have been times that I stop what I'm doing to go for a run. I'll often make a Starbucks run during work days. That's my way to get away from my desk and take a break when things are getting too stressful. I wish I had a puppy...they're always great stress relievers!

Stress...what a great way to lose weight! ;) If only I didn't love food so much.

3 comments:

Betty Underground said...

How ironic. I read your post with a glass of EmergenC after thinking to myself, "Ya, this would make sense. I have pushed through the stress, the craziness of work and life that has had me pinned under it's thumb and ow, I think I am getting sick."

Of course, it happens 24 hours before I am going away for 3 day - to an island with zero technology.

Anonymous said...

Stress, what a great way to loss weight. If only I didn't love food so much.

I love that :)

Kirsten said...

i'm a 100% certain that stress causes a majority of the illnesses out there and that the power of positive thinking can do wonders i "used" to have rheumatoid arthritis until I decided I not longer "wanted" it. viola! i've grow symptom free ever since :)