Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wasted time

The first part of the day was very productive. I got my last homework assignment finished, did some work and then decided it was time for Mom to have my attention. She loves when I come home, but doesn't ever want to do anything other than watch TV or go shopping. This drives me nuts. I've asked her if she wants to go out for a walk and she tells me no, that she doesn't feel well. I ask her if she wants to play a card game...no, not really.

She and my step-dad retired early, mostly because she hated work and he was told he couldn't work anymore (he has post-traumatic stress syndrome from being a medic in Vietnam and worked as a paramedic after the war. Not a good combo.) So now, all they do is sit around and watch TV. They have 'their shows' that they always have to watch, including old reruns of things like Perry Mason and Murder, She Wrote.

I can't say that it's what makes them happy, but it's what they do. They do tend to take road trips every now and then, which they enjoy, but as for their day-to-day life, it really revolves around what's on TV. This makes me sad.

I tend to park myself in front of the TV at home in the evenings, even though I'm doing other things. I've now set-up my office and have a sitting area in my bedroom and have been using each area more often, which keeps me from sitting in front of the TV. I want to break that habit now so I don't turn into what my parents are doing now.

So...more reading, more being productive with work, more working out, more getting out, etc. etc. Have suggestions on things I should try...let me know! My comments section is open for input. ;)

1 comment:

kat said...

I always love to take an evening course, something relaxing. Yoga, painting whatever. It gets you out of the house, you get to meet cool new people and it prevents you from vegging out on the couch watching telly