Sunday, November 11, 2007

Boobtrepreneur, or I *heart* boobies!

I'm sure the male readers are settling in for a good read based on the title. ;) I know the women are!

Boobs are a beautiful thing and I'm glad I have them. However, there are some things that frustrate me. I've thought about this for many years and just recently it's really been on the front of my mind. After coming across the Bra Saga posts over at Don't Bite Blue and talking with the college girls I advise, I've decided to finally post about this.

I've been intimate with a bra since the tender age of 10. I don't remember wearing a 'training bra', which is similar to a sports bra, I started with the a regular, adult bra. It's been a love/hate relationship ever since. In high school, I realized how large the girls were when I often had to wear spandex for dance team. Thankfully, though I was quite large, there were others who were bigger. We grow 'em big down south!

In college, I was constantly pulling the band of my bra down around my rib cage because it was too big. I remember going into a store and being sized. The woman asked me what size I was wearing and I replied 38C. Her eyes got very large and she said, 'you're DEFINITELY wearing the wrong size. I'd guess you're at least a D cup.' She got out the measuring tape and when she finished, she told me that I was a 36DD, pushing a DDD/E cup size. I have no idea why, but this upset me and I started tearing up. I remember having back pain and deep indention's in my shoulders from the bras I was wearing and think that a life of those issues quickly became overwhelming with the news from this stranger.

I've recently lost weight which has meant a new bra size, 34D, however...this is what I've come to figure out. My right boob is a bit larger than my left boob. I'm constantly tucking the right one back into it's place while the left one is comfy in it's home. No problems from the left side! They're not different by that much, but it's there. Oh...do you know how hard it is to find cute 34D sized bras? Very! It's either a very common size or bra manufacturers don't think that size exists and they don't make them. I'm going with they don't make them as reports say the average size is 34B-36C. This just confirms that I'm abnormal, but we all already knew that, didn't we?

I can tell you it's not uncommon for women's breasts to be different sizes. Why are bra manufacturers not recognizing this? Anyone remember Swatch Watches where you could connect two different bands to a watch face to create the perfect watch? I propose the same thing...2 halves of a bra that connect, both in front like a front closure bra, and in back like a regular bra, to create the perfect bra made of 2 sizes! I asked the college women I advise about this idea and they loved it. Many of them have the same problem of one boob coming out to play on a regular basis. See...I'm not alone. Can I get an AMEN?!?!

Another thing, why don't we have button up shirts based on bra size? Seriously, I hate when shirts pucker in front because the girls are large and if I go up a size, it's like I'm wearing a moo moo or something...the shirts too big! Don't even get me started on jeans (guys have it right with length and waist sizes. Why don't the ladies get that attention for their jeans and pants?) Add in hip size and women across the world would rejoice from finding the PERFECT PAIR OF PANTS!

Looks like I may need to get measured again for a new bra based on the "How to measure for a bra" home test. Do they even make 34F? Crap!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Take it from this 34G, they do. UGH. Cursed!

Laura said...

Also, you have to spend more but there are some nice ones out there.

Chantelle is my favorite but check out Fantasie too. (Bare Necessities carries them online - I personally go to Nordstrom. There is a place in NYC that I've been to with "fit experts" - they were on Oprah).

Be ready to go into sticker shock though. It must be all that extra fabric.

Zee said...

I absolutely HATE bra shopping! Though, I hate any shopping. My size fluctuates wildly depending (semmingly) on what I ate that morning. One day I'm a nice perky 34C and the next I'm a 36 D. I always have to go try them on. Always. The last time I got measured, the chick told me I'm actually a C/D which is why I'm a hard fit. My girls are the same size (well, almost... the left is a teeny bit bigger), they just happen to both be between sizes. And yes, when I go shopping for the D, the choices are never as cute or pretty as the C's. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

My left is a wee bit bigger than the right. My left fits comfortably into a 32D, yet my right fits a 34C. How does that work? I don't know. I don't like boobs. Or bras.

CrankyOleBroad said...

Yes, they do make them in your size. I'm a 34I......I have to order them online. Try Figleaves.com, and their UK site has a better selection than the US site. (apparently British women have big knockers)