Saturday, February 2, 2008

Support in a time of need

I've been working for 16 hours straight and am ready for bed. Today was the day that I've been working the past 6 months for. It's been long hours and lots of work and today is always my worst day of the conference (registration/arrival) and I was really hoping for a little encouragement from my friends who know how hellish this time is for me, and I got nothing. No phone calls...no emails saying, "Hang in there. I'm sure you're doing great." No kind of special encouragement on a day I needed it the most...and that hurts.

I've just recently started hanging out with a girl and we've been talking about a lot of things going on in life. I sent her a brief email the other day...something to the effect of "it's been a hard day as I did something that was very hard for me to do (emotionally)." You know what she did? She called me...at 11pm to see how I was doing (I was still at work). Friends who care don't have a time limit on checking in. She recognized that I needed support and was there for me. Wow--that was a great feeling.

I don't think I need a lot of attention or coddling, but there are times when it's nice to know that you're being thought of, especially in times when you're working long hours or are away from home. You know...just to know you're cared about.

I'm sad about this. Should I be? Am I being a baby about this and expecting too much? I should just stop my whining, because really, what good does it ever do. Tomorrow will be a better day as it won't be nearly as crazy as today, even though there will be lots to do. *I just remembered that I didn't eat dinner...not hungry anyways.*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would feel pretty disappointed about it. I'm always there for my friends to support and encourage them, but I don't seem to get it in return.

A part of me says that maybe it's just not who they are. Maybe they don't recognize these things like I do. But then I say it's common sense. And I get mad.

Anonymous said...

1/2 sounds like ex gf things where you forget to do things.

yes we care.

Zee said...

It's disappointing when you feel like the people who are closest to you don't seem to *get* that you need some encouragement. I'm guessing, though, that it's not for lack of love, but that they just aren't the same type of people. Still, it is maddening when the encouragement doesn't come.

I'm right there with you. So be disappointed, but let them know that it would be nice if they'd call you when you're feeling this way.

K. said...

I would be the exact same way.

tearsinmycoffee said...

@F&F-I think a bit opposite to what you put. I tend to put the blame on me...that I'm too much of an encourager and shouldn't expect the same. Then I feel bad thinking they should be supporting me. =(

@Zee-Great thoughts. I know deep down they love me, but it's hard to remember that during these times. You're right about telling them how I feel. I had to do this with my Best Friend and it greatly improved our friendship.

@noah-I know you care. thanks for calling. =)