Sunday, March 23, 2008

Not Taking Advantage

Week 9: I forgo taking advantage of anyone because of his ignorance, status, or financial straits. I forgo the change to use any charms of word, body, or mind to seduce or trick others.

Here we go with week 9 of Everyday Commitments (though it's the 13th week of the year. Ouch!) As I read the Commitment, I didn't think that it would apply much. Then I read the chapter. I don't think I take advantage of people. Quite the opposite, actually. I usually see the good in someone and want to bring that out more. I can often be blinded by the potential I see in someone, or a situation.

So what's this chapter say? Let's take a look:

  • We may notice that someone is vulnerable because she is at a low ebb, depressed, or facing a crisis, including that of financial embarrassment. This is me. My finances are an embarrassment, but I'm working on getting them in order. Going on 9 months now and I have a ways to go...

  • The practice is to come from a place of caring about others' plight, wanting to help them get back on their feet before we enter into transactions with them. We commit ourselves to look for an equal playing field. Equal playing field is always good. A double-beneficial transaction is always best!

  • Most of us have skills we use to trick or cheat others. Most of us can somehow convince others , perhaps against their will. I honestly believe this is true of everyone. I've often wondered throughout negotiations for the new job if I'm being taken advantage of or tricked. I don't believe my business partner would do that, but the question is still there and surfaces every now and then. He has a huge risk as my salary comes out of his pocket if money doesn't come in...so there are hesitations on each of our parts.



The chapter goes with talking about being honest in our dealings, showing that we care more about being authentic than what we can gain. This is something that my friends just don't understand about my working relationship with my partner. We are very open and honest with each other and it works for us. This is why, even though the salary talk has been brutal, offensive, lower than what I wanted, and taken all the way until the 11th hour (we still haven't 100% agreed to something. We have until Wednesday), our openness and honesty has overshadowed that. My friends think I'm being taken advantage of, that I could be making more, which I could, but I wouldn't be doing this amazing opportunity that I'm so excited about. The honesty we share is priceless.

The last sentence for this chapter says it best, "Our goal is truth, not profitable consequences."

No comments: