Sunday, March 16, 2008

Moving on up

Most people dread packing and moving, but not me. I love it! I love going through my stuff and thinking about about who I was and who I've become. I love merging and purging, which doesn't happen as often as it should when I'm not preparing for a move. I love getting rid of clothes that don't fit me anymore (which I'm doing today--3 bags worth!)

There's also the excitement that comes along with this task. Moving to something new...whether it's a new place in the same city you're currently in or maybe to an entirely new place altogether. I love getting settled into a new place, decorating and making it home.

This move isn't going to be the easiest. I'm taking a 2-week cross country drive before I end up in the final destination, which makes figuring out how to get my stuff out West a bit difficult. HIre movers? They'll probably get there before I do. Rent a U-haul-type truck? Then I have it for 2 whole weeks, which will be pricy. Ship what I can and sell everything else? This may actually be the right answer. Debating whether or not to bring my big furniture (couch, loveseat, bed, dresser) or what. Have already been thinking about getting a new bed, so not sure I want to move the one I have all the way across the U.S. Will probably end up moving in with other people for a few months, so won't need much more than what could fit into a bedroom.

So many variables right now, including the potential roommate moving out West with me a few months after I get there. This isn't 100% sure, but looking very likely. However, I'm trying to figure out the best option just in case she doesn't come out. I'd hate to bank on that if it's not going to happen in the end.

Well, back to packing for me. I need to take some trash out, tape up some more boxes and then get some work done. Thankfully, I've been able to open the windows, breathe in some fresh air and have the sun shine to encourage me in my work. Spring-type feel. Love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into using pods? They ship your stuff to you based on a certain date. So until you need it delivered, it sits in storage. I've heard some good things about them. Just google "moving pods" and you'll get a few companies.

tearsinmycoffee said...

I did check PODS, but don't think I have that much to move and shipping will be less expensive. Added bonus of shipping is that the boxes will be picked up and delivered, which means no moving of boxes for me--up or down stairs. Brilliant!