Sunday, March 2, 2008

Back in the saddle?

I always enjoy meeting new people. I'm a WOOer, (one of my results from 'Now, Discover Your Strengths": People strong in the Woo theme love the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over. They derive satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection with another person.) I often win others over. It's very easy for me and I like doing it, not that I try.

Yesterday, I had a 3 hour layover at the airport and decided to grab some food. Instead of sitting alone at a table (which isn't uncommon in an airport), I sat at the bar so I could watch ESPN to keep me entertained. *I was the only female there. Sometimes it pays to like sports! ;)* Not long after I sat down, a group of 3 guys grabbed the chairs next to me and ordered drinks. The one next to me made a comment about him drinking alone (his friends got Cokes) and I said, I'll get a beer when my food gets here. We chatted for a bit, they asked me where I was going (Orlando...for work/play), asked what I do (plan conferences for fraternity/sorority students) which really caught their interest. **Sometimes it helps being a sorority girl too!** Food came, I asked for a beer (Bud light, which is hard to find in Wisconsin) and the guy next to me, Dan, said to add it to his tab. Nice!

Come to find out they were police officers and highway patrol officers heading back to Rhode Island after completing a training week, over WMD. Yes, weapons of mass destruction. What?!? These guys were SWAT team (which explained their size. They were ripped!) and had just been exposed to stuff that even the smallest amount, we're talking drops of liquid, could kill 1000+ easy. Crazy! I asked if they had washed their hands. ;)

Beer number 1 is finished and I'm asked by the bartender if I want another. I hesitate to think and Dan says I do and orders me another. I figure I'm not driving the plane, so why not?!

This is becoming a play by play, so I'll stop with that. The whole point of this is that is was great to flirt again, and there was definite flirting going on. Dan touched me a few times (arm, back) which is not normal for a stranger, but I was ok with it, though I'm not always OK with it. I know why and have valid reasons when I don't like being touched, especially by strangers, but this didn't bother me.

Dan was cute, built and funny, but not my type. But having someone like that flirt with me built my confidence. It makes me feel sexy, desirable, interesting. I'm not the girl guys approach at the bar. I can strike up a conversation with just about anyone, but for a guy, and a cute guy, to approach me, never happens. It's probably better as I would never go home with someone I just met at a bar anyways and I'm pretty sure that when someone approaches someone else in a bar, their not looking for a lifelong friend or partner.

So, yes, it's been a long time since I've flirted with someone (wow--back to August if I'm remembering correctly), and I'm the master at flirting. I like it. It's a definite confidence boost, which we all need at times. With the new things coming up (move, new job) maybe this is the kick I need to start flirting and maybe even date (I'm not a good dater. It's awkward for me, especially if I don't know the person well.)

To Dan, wherever he is, thanks for giving me the confidence boost that I've lacked for so long. I owe you a beer, or two!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh, flirting is fun!! Good for you for getting back in the saddle. It sounds like you had some great scenery while in that saddle too ;-)