Thursday, March 13, 2008

A little anxious

I can feel it in my chest. Sitting there. A feeling of excitement, anxiety, sadness and just a drop of fear all mixed together. And it's great!

I told my boss yesterday that my official last day is two weeks away. I won't be moving for a few weeks after that, but it will give me time to jump into the new job, get packed, tie things up here and move on. Confession...the past two days at work, I've done very little 'full-time' work and have been doing things for the new job. It's OK as I have very little to do at the full-time job anyways.

I can't believe that this is really happening. Well, at least getting closer to happening. I went out with a friend last night and we talked about things. She's not sure about quitting her job and I asked her if she was a pessimist. She said she was. I asked her to think about the absolute worst thing that could happen if she quit and moved and what the options were from there. Her options are actually better than mine, so I challenged her to think more about taking the risk and checking out something new.

It's interesting for me to talk with people who think differently than I do. To me, it's a no brainer. Not completely happy with the job, find something new. Try something different...maybe even a new career. You won't know until you try is my philosophy (unless we're talking about eating liver-YUK!!!)

I'm actually a little sad to be leaving the city I've been in for 4.5 years. Now that the snow is melting and there are signs of spring, I remember what I'll be missing out on like the cool hangouts that are packed when the weather's warm and the fun things like farmer's markets and outdoor concerts.

I'm embracing this feeling in my chest and want to experience it. So often during my time in Orlando with my staff, I brushed my feelings aside, especially the ones of hurt. A close friend who was with me told me it's OK to have those feelings and to be upset. That's not usually the way I work. When I'm hurt, I brush it aside which in turn develops a tougher skin towards all feelings, including good ones.

So bring on the excitement, anxiety, sadness and drop of fear. It only means I'm allowing that tough skin to soften and am moving on to something new.

No comments: