Monday, January 28, 2008

This week's going to be hell!

I have a huge college student conference that I'm overseeing this weekend and I'm planning on working tonight until at least 10pm. I'm hoping this will give me a normal work day on Tuesday and help us get on the road at the right time on Wednesday (we were 2 hours late last year!) I do have a bottle of wine waiting for me at home to partake and help me unwind from the day. Well, make that a half a bottle of wine as I had a few glasses last night. ;)

Can I vent? Thanks---I got an email from my boss last night asking if I had done something specific already. I haven't as I asked him to do it over a week ago. He also included in his email, "I hope you weren't waiting on me for this." Ummm...yeah, I was. It's things like this that keep me from delegating. I ask someone to do it and then they don't and I feel like I have to. I know he'll get this done, but it just makes me mad that he assumed I'd do it even though I asked him to do it.

He's told me he's purposely not going to be available much this weekend in order to push our local team to do what they need to. I'm anticipating getting a lot of questions from staff and am ready with the response to check in with the local director. By default, they come to me, which annoys me. I even had one email me this week who said, 'sorry for all the questions but everyone keeps telling me to ask you.'

I also have the joy of having the one staff who irks me the most coming to Indy this weekend for the conference. He's the Local Director for our other student conference in NC and thinks he's the shit. We both rub each other the wrong way and even more now since my boss has told me that he's interested in my job (translation--he'll be appointed to my position eventually). This guy is really good friends with my boss (my boss mentored him), though my boss gets annoyed with him at times too for not doing his job, which makes me feel better. I've already backed down on a few things for his conference because it's not worth my time to fight with him and help him understand that I have procedures set for a reason. I have had to tell him to back off and let me do his job. That helped for a day, then he was back to thinking his way was the better way. So....he's coming to Indy to see how we do things at the BIG conference (his conference is 1/3 the size). I've already told my 'assistant' from my office that if I leave the room when he comes in, she knows why. I've told other National staff that if he tries to talk about his conference this weekend and get things taken care of with us, we are all to tell him that it's Indy weekend and he can be in touch with us next week. I love that!

I'm so annoyed right now and am really trying to keep a good attitude about this week. On a positive note, I got a hot new haircut yesterday. CUTE!!! Send me good vibes and encouraging words. I need all the help I can get! Hope your week is fabulous!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"it just makes me mad that he assumed I'd do it even though I asked him to do it."

This bothers me to no end. It seems to happen with everybody in my life at some point or another. You want something done, you gotta do it yourself. And then people wonder why you get annoyed with them and check up on things you ask them to do. Because you're not reliable the first time around!

Ah....anyway...good vibes, good vibes, good vibes!! :) You'll kick this week's ass, I know it. Plus, yay for the new haircut!

tearsinmycoffee said...

F&F-
you and I share the same philosophy on this. Add to the mix that I'm perfectionist and it doesn't make it any easier.

thanks for the good vibes. I'm already tearing through my emails and getting things done. only 43 emails in my inbox right now. that's good!

Anonymous said...

It always rubs me the wrong way when folks don't follow up on things they say they will. I know that sometimes things get in the way, but at least be upfront about things.

Sounds like that other guy can be a bit of a tool. I think your plan of avoiding him if you can, and having the team have a standard sort of rply is a great plan.

So good luck with things, I'm sure it will all go smoothly.