Monday, January 7, 2008

Loving Kindness

Week 1
I am always looking for ways to intend, express, and act with loving-kindness.

Isn't it amazing how much more enjoyable life is when you love those around you, even if they're strangers? One of my strengths is WOOing. That stands for "Winning Others Over" from the "Now, Discover Your Strengths" book by Marcus Buckingham. (Great for teams working together or spouses. Highly recommend it!) It says that 'WOOers can walk into a room with new people, but don't see strangers; they see friends they haven't met yet.' Yep, that's me.

I have a knack for seeing the good in people and loving complete strangers. At the hotel I was in last week, I told the housekeeping people 'thanks for all you're doing' when I saw them in the hallway. At Starbucks, I was willing to wait for fresh coffee being brewed, as I was in no hurry, and was given the coffee free. I instead left the money in the tip jar. I even paid the toll for a car behind me as I was driving home from the 'rents a few weeks ago.

I also try to express loving-kindness with those closer to me. I'll wash a car or bring them a meal, stop by work with a bouquet of flowers or kidnap them for a bowling excursion. I try to be gentle with my words, though this is the area I need to work on the most. I genuinely care about people and am glad that I do. I find joy and happiness in doing so.

What are ways you've acted with loving-kindness lately? Be on the lookout for ways you can show others loving-kindness this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're awesome.

Just in case you didn't know that.

tearsinmycoffee said...

Thanks Free and Flawed. I try to tell myself this as often as possible...I just have to learn to believe it from my head to my toes!

Right back at 'cha!

MFGN said...

If more people showed a bit of loving kindness in their everyday lives, the world would definitely be a happier place.

Good on you for setting an example, I hope others around you are inspired to do the same.

-Mike