Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My lips are sealed

Why do we not express our thoughts and feelings more often? This is something that for the past year I've been trying to do more often and can't tell you how freeing and life-giving it's been. Coming from a single parent family where mom was never home, communication wasn't something we did well. It's hard for me to have the 'how was your day' conversation with roommates and friends because I didn't grow up with that. It's awkward, for the most part and honestly, feels a bit superficial to me. Ask me a different question like 'what made you most happy today' or 'what was the most interesting conversation you had today'? Those at least make me think a bit more instead of regurgitate what I did.

What do you have to lose by expressing yourself, telling people how much they mean to you or how much you appreciate them being in your life? You may seem like a sap, but honestly, it's worth it. Have you ever had someone tell you how much you mean to them? What was your reaction? Wasn't it something you wanted to hear and experience every day? You can get just as much joy from being the teller instead of the receiver.

I feel like there's a negative connotation to 'expressing' yourself...that it makes you weak, especially if you're a man. Am I the only one? Is this just in America? I think it should be the opposite way, that by being able to express yourself you are, in fact, a stronger person...one in tune with your inner being and not just the outer self you show to the world. Expression makes you a whole person, with a soul...not just a skeleton or shell on the outside.

From someone who pushed feelings aside for years and years and years, I'm embracing this new insight and am ready to share with the world. I wish more people felt/thought the same.

2 comments:

Betty Underground said...

Oh I am on the same wave length as you!

I struggled with being open with people. Why is it so strange for people to say I Love You to those they care for. Deserving of that love.

Sad really.

Be open. Be true. Let's start a movement!

tearsinmycoffee said...

Hey Betty--

I totally agree. Why do people get freaked out by hearing or saying the words 'I love you'? I have a girl friend who won't hang up the phone with saying 'love you'. Life's too short...take the time, energy and risk in telling those you care about how much they mean to you.

Consider the movement started. ;)