Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tennyson must've been on crack!

The famous quote by Alfred Lord Tennyson goes, 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all,' but I'm a little skeptical. I've never been in love and some days, like today, wonder if I'll ever know what that feels like. I don't know if I'm just accepting the fact that as I get older, the probability of finding true love is becoming smaller or if I'm just becoming accustomed to being single.

I have days where I wonder what's wrong with me and what I should think about changing to make me more desirable/attractive/lovable. Tonight, these thoughts snuck up on me with no warning or invitation. Am I too strong of a leader? Does that intimidate guys? Maybe I'm too outgoing, is that it? I don't think I'm attractive, but hope that my confidence helps cover that up. I don't know that it does.

As I start to think about what's wrong with me, I realize these are the things that are actually what's 'right' with me. These are the things that make me, well...me! I can't turn them off or make them go away. That would not be natural and I wouldn't be happy. I then start to talk myself into the idea that there's someone out there for me who will love me just the way I am, which sometimes, like tonight, just feels like a big fat lie.

I honestly can't imagine being married right now...life's too exciting. There's too much going on. Yeah, it'd be nice to have someone along for the ride, but I enjoy having my own time, my own schedule and my own space. I think having 'distractions' in life helps to keep me busy and keep these thoughts away. But honestly, I wonder if this is another lie I believe or if it's really true. I guess I'll never know...until I get a chance to experience the other side.

No comments: