Monday, October 15, 2007

Collision ahead

There are times when I realize one thing in my head and another in my heart. Two separate options, ideas, thoughts that I struggle with. When this happens, I the head knowledge usually wins out. (I'm a thinker...not a feeler, which isn't always the best thing). This doesn't mean I take the 'safe' option, it just means I go with the one that makes the most sense to me. I have followed my heart a few times and because things haven't turned out as I'd hoped, my heart knowledge is often drowned out by my head knowledge.

Then there are those times when my head knowledge and my heart knowledge collide...they're in sync with each other and it's the most exciting thing. Seriously, the adrenaline gets going and I start wondering if I'm crazy, but it's the most amazing thing! This happened Saturday night as I
                                                     was going to bed...

When this happens, I'm ready to drop everything and pursue whatever it is that has me so excited. This is one of my better qualities, but it's also one of my worst. I'm always interested in doing something new and exciting...I mean, why wouldn't you be? What's the point of life if it's boring, right?

At what point is it OK to let your heart win out over your head? Do you always have to have some 'play it safe' element involved? I'm fine with not having a safety net...it's what makes it exciting...but need to be OK with the thought of 'what if I fall'. That's when not having the safety net is going to hurt. As I chatted with a friend last night who helped keep me grounded, he posed this question, "Think about the worst case scenario. What would your options be from there? Would you be OK with that? If so, move forward with the crazy idea. If not, wait a bit longer to see how things play out."

I need to do some more thinking (darn that head knowledge!) as I have a huge decision to make within the next few weeks. The funny thing is, I'm almost 100% positive of what the decision is in my heart, but need to get my head to catch up to this. Amazing...heart knowledge may just win this one.

1 comment:

noah kagan said...

noah style. less thinking and more doing:P