Monday, November 3, 2008

"If I saw myself the way other people see me..."

"...I wouldn't be nearly so self-conscious and insecure."

These are words put out into the universe from a friend. As I read them I thought, 'Wow--I most definitely could have said this same thing.'

Being an over-achiever and a perfectionist is possibly the worst combination ever. To me, nothing is ever perfect and there's always room for improvement. When people tell me how great a job I'm doing, I immediately think they're just blowing smoke up my butt and don't believe them. I have raving recommendations from people, but that doesn't boost my confidence that I'm doing a good job.

Why am I so skeptical of my work? Why do I not believe what others tell me? Do I really think that every person who tells me 'good job' is lying to me? I know I don't tell people 'good job' when I don't think they did a good job and usually offer some suggestions/feedback on how to improve. If they rocked the world, I definitely tell them and make it genuine.

I've done some thinking this weekend and am trying to believe what people are saying about me (well, at least the good things!) I'm going to have to over the next few months in order to survive as the economy is making an impact in my life.

So, to get the ball rolling, let me list a few truths about myself that I DO believe:
* I'm passionate about what I do
* I make sure details are taken care of
* Hospitality is my forte. I love making people feel welcomed!
* I'm creative and can problem solve with the best of 'em
* I would rather put others needs before mine

What do people tell you about yourself that you don't believe? Why do you find it hard to believe?

1 comment:

April said...

People tell me I've "got it all together." Sheesh. If they were inside my head and saw what a precarious juggling act of sanity I balance, they'd really see how lucky I am to appear even partially "together."

I'm so apt to believe the bad and so loathe to believe the good, but old habits die hard.