Monday, September 24, 2007

Thanks and Appreciation

As I've been thinking a lot lately about those in my life who have made an impact and have helped make me the woman I am today, this just seemed appropriate. It's from a book called, "Things I Want My Daughters To Know" by Alexandra Stoddard. It's a great read, for guys and girls, and has some great advice about life issues.

Hope you enjoy:

Exercise the Vocabulary of Thanks and Appreciation
A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labor of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
Albert Einstein

*****************************************
Celebrate people who are in your life—past and present, close by as well as far away. Thank everyone who contributes to your sense of well-being and joy, whether you know them personally or not. Every day, think of all the people who help make your life so rich and rewarding.

We are healthier and happier when we give and receive appreciation and thanks. If you think it would be fun to throw a big party, do it because you want to: enjoy the preparation, all the planning, and then the event. But when your efforts are appreciated, and your friends that you, it makes you even more glad that you put in all the work.

When you recognize the value and significance of the hundreds of people who continuously do things for you, you expand your love of life, your faith in the genuine goodness of your fellow men and women.

Make it a habit to write generously spirited thank-you notes. They always bring a smile and create an additional bond. Out of the blue, extend a thank-you to someone in your past who helped you shed light on your career path. Never underestimate the significance to others of your loving thoughts and words. I’m touched by the generous spirits of those who come to hear me speak. Some of the letters I receive are heartwarming. We all like to be appreciated.

Grab a piece of paper and scribble down all of the people and things you’re appreciative of. There are so many. Would your list include mentors, family, supporters, friends, classmates, and partners, as well as architecture, art, design, color, beaches, and books? I’m appreciative for the sunrise each day, for an opportunity to love and be loved, and for the ability to raise my consciousness through study and meditation, through work and free time. The more I give thanks and appreciation, the more my life’s experience increases in value.

It’s terribly important to thank people, not only for favors done, but also for paid work well done. People tend to think that they don’t need to thank others who were “just doing their job.” Anyone who has paid for shoddy workmanship knows the value of paid work well done. By recognizing everything it took to do the work they completed—the skill, the compassion, the good planning, and the thought that permeate the work of someone who cares.

Give thanks and feel good about yourself for honoring the dignity and commitments of others. The more appreciative you are and the more you give thanks, the greater your own abundant joy.
*****************************************
I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among men the greatest asset I possess, and the way to develop the best that is in a man is by appreciation and encouragement.
Charles Schwab

No comments: