Saturday, April 14, 2007

What's to come?

Good news! I've been asked back for a second interview. I can't tell you how excited I am about this and how nervous I am at the same time. As I've been waiting to hear, my desire to work in this position is growing. It's making me want to leave my current job immediately. I don't understand why I want out of my current job so bad.

Well, that's not exactly true. I have my reasons for being ready to move on. Part being the recent promotion/lack of a raise I received. Working for a non-profit means realizing you'll probably not be paid what you're worth. I pour myself in to my job and even made it my top priority for about 6 months and I feel like I haven't been appreciated for my work. I put my job ahead of my friends and even withdrew from what little community I have during that time because "work was so crazy and I needed to be there 60+ hours a week". So not true. It's been very hard for me to be in the office since my first interview. I've actually called in sick one day (which was mostly true...I probably could've gone in, but wasn't feeling 100%). I never call in sick.

My current job is not meeting all of my needs. I sit at a desk all day and have very little "people" interaction and that's not my personality. I like having team collaboration but prefer to work independently and with our new employee, I'm having to work more as a team rather than on my own projects to get her up to speed. I want to be in a professional environment, which is not my current work place. We're the most professional department and we could even bump it up a notch. Then there's the factor that my entire world is a Christian world right now. I work for a Christian organization and my friends are all from church. For 3 years, this has been my life. I'm ready to be in a 'secular' work place. It will challenge me and allow me to grow.

What I'm realizing is I'm ready to find a job I can settle in to. I've had 4 'career' positions since graduation and am learning more and more about what I want and how I like to work. I think, and hope, this new job could be it. There are so many pros for this position and I can't think of any cons, at least not now. I told a friend last night that I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get this job. She said, "You'll look for another one. There are lots of jobs out there!" True...but my question is how many are there that fit my personality, talents and passions?

No comments: