Monday, April 21, 2008

Managing my time

Yes, I've disappeared lately. Life has been nuts and thankfully, it's starting to calm down a bit, but is now all catching up with me at the same time. I've been in survival mode lately...one thing at a time...what's more important at the moment? What can wait another day or two?

I've left the city I've lived in for 4 years and am now on a road trip out west for the new job. I'm in Oklahoma, or 'Home' as I like to call it, for the next few days. I visited the parents a few days ago in MI, which was a much needed trip and had great timing as my step-dad was taken to the hospital just a few days before I was supposed to arrive. Lots of drama with that, but he's fine...better now than he has been the past few months.

I've been caught between so many rocks and hard places lately in managing my time. I've had to finish work, find a place to live (which the first one fell through), pack, move, drive, support my mom while my step-dad was in the hospital while I was exhausted, drive some more, see friends and family, work, and find time to eat/sleep in there. My continued schedule is to drive almost 1600 miles to CA, get there in one piece, unload the car, meet my new roommates, off to dinner, get back to the new place, unpack (maybe--maybe not!), and get into a 'normal' work/life mode.

So right now, I'm caught between telling people I can't see them because I have to work. This includes my BFF I'm staying with. She's been understanding, but I hate that I'm having to ditch out on some things to see other people and in order to get work done. I'm excited about the work, which helps a lot and wish I had more time to get things done while I'm in town. I've had to take my car in to get the AC fixed, which means dealing with something unexpected, both time wise and financially. Fun, right?

I'm ready to have a breakdown and need a break. I want to be in CA already. This has been in the works since October and it's only 1 week away from happening. Surely I can hang in there for this last week, right? I haven't been able to get the work done that I need/should/want to be done due to other life things happening. I've seriously wanted to give up on the move quite a few times. To hell with it all...my stuff will find it's way to CA. Why do I have to send it there? (I know, now I'm talking crazy. I think I'm delirious!)

Alright...off to another 'meeting' with a friend, then a work phone call, then a few more hours of work, then a break for dinner/shopping with the BFF, then back to work. Thankfully, the BFF's fridge is stocked with energy drinks and I have coffee on hand. May need both of those to pull off friend/family time and work this week. Whew!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

change is often daunting. Don't dwell on it and let it get you down. Instead, look forward to all your new experiences heading your way!