Wednesday, May 14, 2008

And from out of left field...

I have a new job. What?!?! Didn't I just move to CA for another job? Yeah, I did. And it was good, for the most part. Not entirely what I had expected or hoped for. Definitely had some major things to work through to try to make the working relationship better between my *damn, I don't even know what to call him...boss, partner, teammate?*

I still don't know what to think about all of this. It really did come out of left field as I wasn't looking for a new job. These people came to me and wanted something to happen fast. I met the CEO on Saturday and was offered a job on Sunday. Tried to offer a solution of doing both jobs, kinda part-time and they were OK with maybe doing that for 6 months, but then i'd have to decide one way or the other. There really wasn't going to be a way to do both jobs well in only part of the time. When I talked to my *boss, partner, teammate*, I ultimately had to make a decision. In the end, I hurt him bad. So bad that we're not friends anymore as he doesn't want anything to do with me.

I'm not a cold, hearted bitch and the decision hurts me as well. I can't believe that I've lost a friend through this. Someone who I've shared deep thoughts with. Someone who I connected with unlike most others. Someone I'm sure could've been a lifelong friend. But I couldn't let the thought of losing this friendship keep me from moving into a better position (from my point of view. He even told me that the better option for me was to probably take the new job.)

Someone told me it's best not to work with friends and I believe that 100%. Yes, you can be friends with those you work with, but working with those you're friends with is a little different and more difficult. We agreed a long time ago that we'd be 'friends first' and 'business second' and I hope someday we can get back to that. I completely understand why he's hurt, not that that makes anything better. I let him down as he had faith in me and trusted me. I'm sad that my passion for his vision died out enough that something else looked better. I'm very, very sorry that I've hurt him as bad as I have and I hope someday he'll be able to forgive me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well it sucks that it all had to happen the way it did, but I'm sure there's some good stuff for you in this new job. Congrats

tearsinmycoffee said...

Thanks LA Blogger Gal. As I've been talking with people who knew I was working with him about the new job, I'm being told it's a great move. I'm feeling a bit better about it and look forward to jumping in and getting started.