Monday, September 17, 2007

Pieces are missing

I'm often embarrassed by the following statement...I haven't ever really been in a relationship. There have been 'interests' and 'friends...with some benefits', but no real relationships. Makes me sound so pathetic, doesn't it? (I realize how amazing I really am, so I'm kidding about sounding pathetic!)

However, I see friends and close ones going through horrible relationships, just for the sake of being in a relationship. When I see that, it makes me thankful I've never 'settled' or have been so focused on being in a relationship that I'll do anything to make it happen. It's not worth it.

I read something years ago that stuck with me and really has helped me with not being in a relationship. It went something like this, for every serious relationship you've been in, you've given away a piece of your heart. That means that when 'the one' comes along, you only have what's left to give to them. Think about it...you're in a relationship and have an amazing date. It's weird to 'recreate' that date in a new relationship, once the first one is over. The recreation will only conjure up memories of the first time with the 'old' significant other.

I don't understand why women get so jealous and freaked out when guys are friends or still care for an old flame. If you're secure in your own relationship, isn't that what really matters? Not gonna lie...when 'the one' comes along, it's going to hurt to know that he's given pieces of his heart away to others. I just hope that what's left is enough to love me completely, unconditionally and for the rest of my life.

Don't get me wrong...I have more than enough love in my heart to share with someone else. I'm often busy with 'things', but will make time for that special someone. I'm ready to be someones cheerleader when times are rough as well as be their best friend when times call for celebration! I've just been storing it up for 30 years and let me tell you, when he comes along, he's going to be the luckiest man in the world!

No comments: